Put on your thinking caps because here are some questions to consider as you move through the city’s design world this week. Your responses are due on Monday. Joke answers not allowed.
• Will Design Week have an effect on your practice? If yes, what is it? If no, why go?
• Will the Mayor be attending any Design Week Portland events? What’s the City of Portland’s role in Design Week?
• Who isn’t part of Design Week either in events or open houses? Why?
• What challenges does Portland’s graphic design community face? If you could snap your fingers and one thing would be fixed, what would it be?
• Are there too many graphic designers in Portland? How many are there? What number would be satisfactory?
• What’s been the most significant development, good or bad, in local design in the past year.
• Are the Portland design schools (PSU, PNCA, AI, OCAC) doing a good job? How would you improve them?
• Are there too many graphic design students here? In a town where recent graduates don’t want to leave, is there enough work to support them? If not, what, if anything, should be done about that?
• Did you know that the PSU Graphic Design program’s budget is set at $0.00 for this year? And that the program has around 550 graphic design majors? (Full disclosure: my wife is faculty there)
• There is no student AIGA chapter at PSU or PNCA? Only AI?
• Is there a highest strata of designers in Portland? Who’s on that list? What criteria puts them there? Where are they in Design Week?
• Tell me: what can we not say publicly about our design community? I’ll write about it.
Nicole has questions too